Snow Globe SUCCESS!

By Veronique Christensen — Sunday, October 22nd, 2006

snow-globes

We had Miss M’s birthday party today and it was a roaring (if exhausting for Mama) success. I’m especially pleased that the snow globes worked out properly :-)

Each kid got to choose one (or more if they would fit) plastic creatures to place in their bottle.

plastic-creatures

Next they chose their glitter and glass, and poured it in. I had opalescent stars, big blue glitter bits, silver glitter bits, blue and silver stars. I also had “sea” glass in clear and aqua.

glitter

I added about a teaspoon of Glycerin [after a long hunt we finally found it at our local craft store in the baking department -- drug stores do not carry this in the US anymore], and filled the bottles to the rim with water. For the kids who chose creatures that needed to be hot-glued to the lid, rather than swimmers, I filled the bottles a bit less than full.

To seal the bottles I squeezed out a ribbon of hot glue all the way around the inside of the lids before sealing tightly. A few of the snow globes didn’t seal as well as expected (I called these The Leakers), so I sealed the outer rim of the lid with another ribbon of hot glue. This isn’t as pretty, but it works.

I’d done a trial run a few days ago that didn’t go as well. If you want to know what not to do, read this.

>> Update Nov.30th, 2006: The folks at Kiddley have posted a slightly different take on this today. I like the idea of trying superglue instead of using the ol’ hot glue gun.

>> Update Dec.5th, 2007: Martha Stewart also has this project up online with a Christmas theme.

>> Update Nov. 22nd, 2008: Gretchen over at Cocktail Mom’s had the inspired idea to use Aquarium sealer with great success. I’m going to try that next time because I think that will have a more permanent seal.

You may also like these posts:

How not to make a snow globe

Pine cone creatures

Failure with the fabric glitter

19 Responses to “Snow Globe SUCCESS!”

1. Stephanie says:

Way cool! My daughter would love that project for her birthday – Thanks for sharing!
    Stephanie of
    Forks and Chopsticks
    The Written Word and now
    Me So Crafty

2. Erin says:

I agree – what a fun idea! I’ve passed this on to my sister, who’s an elementary teacher. This could make a great holiday project for her glass!

3. Chelsea says:

This is great! I just stumbled upon your “How not to make a snowglobe” entry and it made me laugh! And I love glitter too, for no real reason. Maybe I was a crow or something in a past life. But anyways, I’m off to make my own last minute snowglobes for Christmas, and your tutorial is oh so helpful. Happy Holidays!

4. CrankMama says:

Hi There,
    I just found your site and LOVE it!! I’m blogging this piece at Stroller Derby tomorrow. Check it out…
    Http://www.strollerderby.com
    Thanks!
    RAchael

5. madparkermom says:

Hi! I love this idea and am planning to supervise this for my daughter’s 3rd grade class for an upcoming holiday craft activity; but help! Every time I try to add the glitter and a drop or two of baby oil to the water so the ’snow will fall slower’ the glitter clumps! Would glycerin versus baby oil affect this better? I’ve read that some people have used distilled water–is this and possibly the temperature of the water more likely to reduce clumping? I’m using baby food jars that have been thoroughly cleaned, but I keep running into this problem despite trying different water temperatures.Please email me with any suggestions! Thanks!

6. Veronique says:

Glycerine is what worked for us. Drugstores don’t sell it anymore, so check with your local crafts store. Baby oil will end up just floating if you are adding it to the water (think vinaigrette).
    Good luck!

7. Laurie says:

Great tutorial and idea. I featured it on Tip Junkie today! Thanks for the inspiration.

8. Christine says:

Absolutely love this and will include a link from our Web site of kids party ideas for our MERMAID PARTY and WINTER WONDERLAND party.

See the link soon at:

Christine
    P.S. Join us on Twitter!

9. Cyndy Fichter says:

How to make Santa? Water bottle (recycled) Fill with red tissue paper, black electric tape around middle for belt. cotton ball beard, face painted on (eyes and nose). How to do hat? please respond!

10. Kaarina says:

This is awesome! Just love love love it and doing it this year with my boys! They aren’t super happy about crafting, but maybe this one will take :)

11. Veronique Christensen says:

Kaarina: I’m so glad you like this one! — your boys might like glueing in toy soldiers, dinosaurs or matchbox cars. Just remember to use a glue that is not water soluble. Aquarium glue should work best, since after a time, my glue gun glue came undone (not that the kids minded one bit).

12. Wendy says:

Hi! I want to say thanks for an interesting site about a subject I have had an interest in for a long time now. I have been lurking and reading the posts avidly so just wanted to express my thanks for providing me with some very good reading material. I look forward to more, and taking a more active part in the discussions here.

13. Tim says:

Ive got some great party ideas from this. Halloween is gonna be a great one! Thank you

14. Jac says:

Great job!

Where did you find those awesome glass spice jars for so cheap?

15. Viki says:

Fantastic! I especially loved the ‘How NOT to Make a Snow Globe’..hilarious! I’m so glad I stumbled on this as I was searching for the project. I’ll be doing this craft tomorrow with 2 little girls I teach English to. Glycerin(e) isn’t available here in Germany,(or if it is, it’s hiding under some name I don’t know or recognize) so glad to know I can use good ole baby oil! Definitely a two thumbs up on this :) Thanks for sharing..now off for the shopping spree..these girls work fast, so think I’ll have thme make an assortment for Christmas. Once again..thanks! This is the tops!